Part one: Secondary Sources
[A number of sources are recommended for treatments of the development of bibliographical science in Hungary and for accounts of bibliographical aids to Hungarian research. Kozocsa Sándor, Bevezetés a bibliográfiába (Budapest: Királyi Magyar Egyetemi Nyomda, 1939; 115p.; DLC MH MnU NNC AsWN GyBH). Though this work deals primarily with problems in bibliographical science, it contains a chapter on the history of bibliography in Hungary. Kertbeny's introduction to Bibliografie (no. 10 below) provides an extensive discussion of the development of Hungarian bibliography to 1880, in Hungarian and German. Wallaszky (no. 39) contains a summary of bibliographies that appeared before 1785. The periodical Magyar Könyvszemle (no. 1255) reports extensively on bibliographies and on problems in bibliography. Since 1955, it has provided summaries in English, German, French, and Russian. Gulyás Pál, A bibliográfia kézikönyve. Bevezetés a könyvészetbe. Három rész két kötetben (Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1941-1942; [DLC] MnU NN AsWN). Both a handbook to the science of bibliography and a bibliography of bibliographies, it provides detailed accounts of such aids for Hungary, especially in Vol. II, in which major bibliographical tools are listed and described under subject headings by country, including those for Hungary. The East European accessions index (no. 8) is to be consulted for bibliographies published separately in Hungary beginning with 1944. Bélley Pál és Ferenczyné Wendelin Lidia (összeáll.). A magyar bibliográfiák bibliográfiája. 1956-1957 (Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1960; 223p.; DLC MnU AsWN FiHU GeCU GeLBM GyBA GyBH GyBS). This bibliography of Hungarian bibliographies, the first of a new series, reports on all Hungarian bibliographies, in every area of learning, published separately or as a part of a work in 1956-1957. The latter type is restricted to bibliographies containing more than twenty items, except in highly specialized fields in which publications are not normally extensive. Brief annotations are given, and section headings are in Hungarian, Russian, English, German, and French.
A. GENERAL BIBLIOGRAPHIES
[For bibliographies similar to those covered in this section but contained in non-bibliographical works, see individual items in Section II: Encyclopedias, and Section V: Biographical dictionaries.]
1. Apponyi, Sándor (gróf). Hungarica. Ungarn betreffende im Auslande gedruckte Bücher und Flugschriften. I-IV. kötet. Budapest és München: Franklin-Társulat és Jaques Rosenthal, 1900-1927. [Vol. I and II also published in Leipzig, 1903]
A chronological catalogue and description of 2509 foreign books and pamphlets written on Hungary from 1470 to 1795. Each volume: (1) an alphabetical list of titles by author for each year and (2) an index of personal and place names. Volumes III and IV (prepared with the collaboration of Lajos Dézsi): A supplement to and extension of the contents of Volumes I and II. [See annotation to no. 9.] Vol. I, 15th and 16th centuries (1470-1600); vol. II, 17th and 18th centuries (1601-1720); vol. III, 15th and 16th centuries (1471-1600); vol. IV, 17th and 18th centuries 1601-1795). DLC ICJ MH MiU MnU NN AsWN FrPBN [FrPS] GeCU GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
2. Asztalos Miklós. "A wittenbergi egyetemi könyvtár Wittenbergben maradt részének régi magyar könyvállománya," Magyar Protestáns Egyháztörténeti Adattár, XII (1932), 123-185. [A periodical published by the Magyar Protestáns Irodalmi Társaság, Budapest]
A catalogue of 402 Hungarian books published prior to 1711 to be found in the library of the University of Wittenberg. Organized and documented in the manner of Régi magyar könyvtár (no. 34), to which it adds 92 titles. [See also nos. 7, 17, 29, and 37.]
3. Baranyai Zoltán. "Pótlások a 'Bibliographie Française de la Hongrie'-hoz," Magyar Könyvszemle, XXVIII (1922), 168-170.
Additions to Kont's Bibliographie (no. 13), using the same method of documentation. [See also nos. 4 and 15.] [CSt-H] ICJ MiU NN NNC AsWN AsWU FiHU FrPBN [FrPS] GeLBM GyBA GyBH ItFU
4. — "Újabb adalékok Kont Ignác 'Bibliographie Française de la Hongrie'-jához," Magyar Könyvszemle, XXVI (1918), 68-77.
Additions to no. 13, using the same method of documentation. [See also nos. 3 and 15.] ICJ ICU MiU NN NNC AsWN AsWU FrPBN [FrPS] GeLBM GyBA GyBH ItFU
5. Bogyay, Thomas von und Krallert-Sattler, Gertrud. "Ungarische Bibliographie, 1945-1950," Südosteuropa-Bibliographie (München: R. Oldenbourg, 1959; 263p.), I. Band, 2. Teil, 117-182.
Lists 1210 books and articles on Hungary published between 1945 and 1950. Arranged by subjects: (1) General, (2) The land, (3) The inhabitants, (4) History and politics, (5) Language and literature, (6) Government and jurisprudence, (7) Economics and social conditions, and (8) Intellectual and cultural life. Data: for books, author, title, place and date of publication, publisher, total pages; for articles, author, title, name of periodical, volume, year, and inclusive page numbers. Hungarian titles also in German. ICU MnU NNC AsWN AsWU GeCU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU ItFU
6. Books from Hungary. Edited by Imre Kőműves. Budapest: Hungarian Book Club, 1959+.
A quarterly magazine in English reporting the books published in Hungary during each period. Grouped under area of learning. Information about the contents of each title. Notices of future publications; articles on books, authors, book production, culture, noted figures connected with Hungarian culture and learning, etc. Bibliographic appendix (as insert) listing books published in Hungary during the preceding quarter, arranged by subject: (1) Belles-lettres, (2) Juvenile and children's literature, (3) Literary history, (4) Arts, (5) Theatre, dance, (6) Musical works, (7) Reference books, (8) Bibliographies, (9) Religion, (10) Philosophy, psychology, (11) Social sciences, (12) Law, (13) History, (14) Education, (15) Ethnography, (16) Linguistics, grammars, dictionaries, (17) Natural sciences, (18) Geography, travel, guidebooks, (19) Technical literature, technology, industry, (20) Needlework, (21) Agriculture, (22) Work-organization, accountancy, trade, (23) Sports, chess, games, and (24) Maps. Also provides author, title, English translation of the title, number of volumes, pagination, and price. Illustrated. [Also published separately in German as Bücher aus Ungarn and in French as Livres de Hongrie. For other sources reporting the publication of monographic materials from 1946 on, see nos. 20, 21, and 38.] CU CtY DLC ICU IU LNHT MnU NN OU WaU and others
7. Bucsay Mihály. Régi magyar könyvek a hallei magyar könyvtárban. Budapest: Ranschburg Gusztáv Könyvkereskedése, 1941. 104p.
A chronological catalogue of 754 Hungarian books published prior to 1711 to be found in the Halle Library. First part dependent on citations in Szabó and Hellebrant's Régi magyar könyvtár (no. 35), and on the supplements to that work by Asztalos (no. 2) and by Sztripszky (no. 37). Introduction in Hungarian and German. Index of authors and unsigned works. [See also nos. 17 and 29.] AsWN FiHI GyBH GyGGaU
8. East European accessions index. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, September/October 1951-November/December 1961. [Issued under title East European accessions list, 1951-1957. Appeared monthly beginning with 1952.]
A record of monographic publications issued after 1944 and periodical publications issued after 1950 currently received by the Library of Congress and other American libraries. All areas of learning. Arranged by country: (1) Albania, (2) Bulgaria, (3) Czechoslovakia, (4) Estonia, (5) Hungary, (6) Latvia, (7) Lithuania, (8) Poland, (9) Rumania, and (10) Yugoslavia. Grouped under general subjects: (1) General, (2) Bibliography, (3) Philosophy and religion, (4) History, (5) Social sciences, (6) Political science, (7) Law, (8) Education, (9) Music, theatre and motion pictures, (10) Fine arts, (11) Language, literature and folklore, (12) Geography and geology, (13) Science, (14) Medicine, (15) Agriculture, (16) Technology, and (17) Military and naval sciences. Monographs listed in the original language or in transliteration followed by a translation of the title into English. Periodicals listed in the original language or in transliteration followed by a descriptive annotation in English including, as available, the name of the issuing body, language statement, frequency of publication, and historical note. Periodical holdings recorded by volume, number, and date. Listing of contents in English provided for selected periodicals. Identification symbols for items available in other American libraries. Cumulative lists of East European periodical and newspaper titles received by the Library of Congress and other American libraries included with the December issue of each volume. Subject index to monographic and periodical publications; list of periodical title abbreviations used in subject index. DLC ICU MH MnU NN OCl [FiHU] GeLBM GeLU [GyGNSU]
9. Gragger, Róbert und Farkas, Gyula. Bibliographia Hungariae. Verzeichnis der 1861-1921 erschienenen Ungarn betreffenden Schriften in nicht ungarischer Sprache. Zusammengestellt vom Ungarischen Institut an der Universität Berlin. I-IV. kötet. Berlin und Leipzig: Walter de Gruyter, 1923-1929.
Catalogue of books on Hungary in non-Hungarian languages published from 1861 to 1921. Arranged by language under subject or type headings. [For such materials prior to 1861, see nos. 1, 10, 11, 28, 33, and 35; for such works after 1921, consult the bibliographical sections of Ungarische Jahrbücher (no. 1284); for French materials from 1521 to 1910, see nos. 3, 4, 13, and 15.] Vol. I, History; vol. II, Geography, politics, and economics; vol. III, Dictionaries, language studies, grammars, literary histories, translations, anthologies, periodicals, art, religion, education; vol. IV, Index to entire work. IC ICN ICU MnU NNC NjR AsWU FiHU FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyBS
10. Kertbeny [Benkert], Károly. Bibliografie der ungarischen nationalen und internationalen Literatur. Ungarn betreffende deutsche Erstlings-Drucke. 1454-1600. Budapest: Magyar Királyi Egyetemi Könyvnyomda, 1880. 774p. [The only volume published]
A chronological catalogue of 1428 German books on Hungary published from 1454 to 1600, giving the author, title, publisher, format, pages, and history of each edition. An extensive treatment of the development of Hungarian bibliographical science to its own date in the introduction in Hungarian and German. Name and subject index. [For other sources providing information about materials in non-Hungarian languages for various periods, see the annotation to no. 9.] CtY DLC ICN MH NN NjP OCl AsWN FiHU FrPBN GeCU GeLBM GeOB
11. Kertbeny [Benkert] Károly és Petrik Géza. Magyarországi német könyvészet. 1801-1860. A Magyarországban s külföldön hazánkra vonatkozólag megjelent német nyomtatványok jegyzéke. I-II. rész. Budapest: Magyar Királyi Egyetemi Könyvnyomda, 1886.
A catalogue of German works published in Hungary and works in German concerned with Hungary but published outside of Hungary from 1801 to 1860. Subject divisions in Pt. I: (1) Theology, (2) Philosophy, (3) History, (4) Geography and ethnology, (5) Jurisprudence and political science, (6) Medicine, (7) Natural sciences, (8) Educational systems and subjects, (9) Literary history and linguistics, and (10) Belles-lettres. Chronological organization by decades in Pt. I; alphabetical by author or title in Pt. II. [For other sources providing information about materials on Hungary in non-Hungarian languages for various years, see the annotation to no. 9.] Pt. I, 1801-1830 (author and title index by decades); pt. II, 1831-1860 (author index). FrPBN GyBH
12. Kiszlingstein Sándor. Magyar könyvészet. 1876-85. Jegyzéke az 1876-85. években megjelent, vagy újólag kiadott magyar könyveknek és térképeknek. II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkereskedők Egylete, 1890. 556p.
A catalogue of Hungarian books, articles, and maps published in Hungary from 1876 to 1885. Alphabetical by author under subject headings; (1) Theology, (2) Philosophy, (3) History, (4) Geography, (5) Juris-prudence and political science, (6) Medicine, (7) Natural sciences, (8) Pedagogy and didactics, (9) Literary history and linguistics, (10) Belles-lettres, (11) Fine arts, (12) Agriculture, (13) Hunting, (14) Mathematics, (15) Technology, (16) Industry and commerce, (17) Military science, and (18) Miscellaneous. Unlike Petrik's Magyar könyvészet, 1860-1875 (no. 25), to which it adds works omitted, it does not limit the articles listed to those found in better-known journals. List of the newspapers and periodicals from which the entries were taken. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see nos. 25 (1860-1875), 24 (1860-1892), 26 (1886-1900), 27 (1901-1910), 31 (1911-1917), 14 (1911-1920), 19 (1921-1923) 18 (1930-1935), and 36 (1936-1941). For catalogues of books published in Hungary during earlier years, see the annotation to no. 34.] DLC MnU NN NNC AsWN FrPS GeLBM GyBH GyGGaU
13. Kont, Ignác. Bibliographie française de la Hongrie 1521-1910). Avec un inventaire sommaire des documents manuscrits. Paris: Ernest Leroux, 1913. 325p.
A catalogue of French works concerned with Hungarian matters of all kinds to varying degrees published from 1521 to 1910. Arranged chronologically to render an account of the historical development of French knowledge of Hungary. Locates most of the entries, often summarizes them, and contains an extensive inventory of documents and manuscripts concerned with Hungary in the public archives and libraries of France. Author-subject index. [See also nos. 3, 4 and 15.] CtY DLC ICJ ICN MB MH MiU NN NNC AsWU FrPBN FrPS GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyGGaU
14. Kozocsa Sándor. Magyar könyvészet. 1911-1920. Az 1911-1920. években megjelent magyarországi könyvek, különlenyomatok, zeneművek és térképek betűrendes jegyzéke. Barcza Imre címanyagának felhasználásával összeállította az Országos Széchényi Könyvtár Bibliográfiai Osztálya. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkiadók és Könyvkereskedők Egyesülete, 1939-1942. [The third volume, which was to catalogue articles for the same period, was not published.]
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books, reprints from periodicals, musical compositions, and maps published in Hungary from 1911 to 1920, giving the title, place and date of publication, publisher, and pages. Periodical literature or works of Hungarians published outside Hungary not included. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] Vol. I, A-K; vol. II, L-ZS. [NNC] AsWU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
15. Leval, André. Supplément à la Bibliographie française de I. Kont. Budapest: Librairie Gustave Ranschburg, 1914. 50p. [Reprinted from Revue de Hongrie, January-March, 1914]
An addition of 347 titles to no. 13, using the same method of organization and documentation. [See also nos. 3 and 4.] CtY DLC ICU FrPBN FrPS GyBH
16. Magyar folyóiratok repertóriuma. Repertorium periodicorum hungaricorum. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1846+. [Appeared quarterly (irregular; some issues combined), 1946-1949; monthly (some issues combined), 1952 to date]
A list of articles in all fields of learning published in Hungarian periodicals, from 1946 on, arranged by subject: (1) General works, (2) Philosophy, (3) Religion and theology, (4) Social sciences, (5) Linguistics, (6) Natural sciences, (7) Applied sciences, (8) Arts, (9) Literature, belles-lettres, and world literature, (10) Geography and history. Data: author, title, issuing body, date, volume and serial numbers, and inclusive pages. Subject headings in Hungarian, English, French, and Russian. A supplement to no. 21. DLC [NN] [NNC] AsWN FiHU [FrPBN] GeCU [GeLBM] GeOB GyBA GyBH GyBS [GyGNSU] [ItFU]
17. Magyar Könyvesház. "Adalékok Szabó Károly 'Régi Magyar Könyvtár'-ához," Magyar Könyvszemle, XVII-XXXVIII (1892-1931).
Regular additions to no. 34 in articles from 1892 to 1931, following the same method of documentation and description. [See also nos. 2, 7, 29, and 37.] [CSt-H] [CtY] [ICU] [MH] MiU [MnU] [NN] NNC [PU] AsWN AsWU [FiHU] [FrPBN] [FrPS] GeLBM [GyBA] GyBH [ItFU]
18. Magyar Könyvészet. I-VI. füzet. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkiadók és Könyvkereskedők Országos Egyesülete, 1930-1935.
An annual catalogue, alphabetical by author, of books and periodicals published in Hungary from 1930 to 1935, giving the author, title, place and date of publication, publisher, pages, and format. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] AsWU FrPBN GyGNSU
19. Magyar könyvészet. 1921-1923. Az 1921-1923. években megjelent magyar könyvek betűrendes jegyzéke és tárgymutatója. Budapest: Magyar Könykiadók és Könyvkereskedők, Zeneműkiadók és Zeneműkereskedők Egyesülete, 1924. 491p.
An alphabetical catalogue of books, by author and subject, in all fields of learning published in Hungary from 1921 to 1923. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] DLC MH GeLBM GyGNSU
20. Magyar Könyvkiadók programja. Budapest: Kultúra Könyv és Hírlap Külkereskedelmi Vállalat, 1959+. [Appears quarterly]
A fist of monographic publications appearing during the quarter, grouped alphabetically by name of publisher. Prices quoted. [For other sources reporting on monographic publications from 1946 on, see nos. 6, 21, and 38.] DLC NNC
21. Magyar nemzeti bibliográfia. Bibliographia hungarica. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1946+. [Appears monthly (irregular)]
A catalogue of books and pamphlets in all fields of learning published in Hungary during the period reported, grouped under subject headings, with subdivisions under each: (1) General works and collections, (2) Philosophy, (3) Religion and churches, (4) Social sciences, (5) Linguistics, (6) Mathematics and natural sciences, (7) Applied sciences, (8) Arts, (9) Literature, (10) Geography and history. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, publisher, total pages, and format. Subject headings in Hungarian, English, French, and Russian. Alphabetical index to each issue. [For other sources reporting on monographic publications from 1946 on, see nos. 6, 20, and 38. See also no. 16, a supplement to this item reporting since 1946 on articles in Hungarian periodicals.] DA DLC IU NN [NNC] AsWN FiHU [FrPBN] GeCU GeLBM GeOB GyBA GyBH GyBS [ItFU]
22. A Magyar Tudományos Akadémia kiadásában megjelent munkáknak és a folyóiratok tartalmának betűrendes címjegyzéke. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1890-1911. 1188p.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author and subject, of all publications of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences from 1830 to 1910. Volume number and inclusive pages for periodical articles. Pt. I, 1830-June 1889 (subject index); pt. II, 1889-1910, with sub-pt. 1, A to Language, and sub-pt. 2, Langyos-Zvonarics (no index). DLC MH NN NNC OCl PPAmP AsWN FrPBN GeLBM GyBH
23. Márki József. Szak- és betűrendes kalauz az összes magyar irodalom története s könyvészetében. Budapest: Lauffer Vilmos Tulajdona, 1878. 267p.
After a general section on the Hungarian language, the major Hungarian writers, the periods of Hungarian literature, etc., classifies the titles of Hungarian books on Hungary according to literary type or branch of learning in alphabetical order from the beginning of printing to the 1870s. Subjects: (1) Religious literature, (2) Belles-lettres, (3) History, (4) Jurisprudence, (5) Linguistics, (6) Mathematics, (7) Military science, (8) Natural sciences, (9) Medicine, (10) Philosophy, (11) Pedagogy, (12) Liberal arts, (13) Geography, (14) Travel, (15) Political science, (16) Economics, (17) Technology and commerce, (18) Archeology, and (19) Miscellaneous literary subjects [Encyclopedias, Newspapers, Journals, Almanacs, Books on the family, people, youth and children, and Histories of Hungarian literature]. Each subject treated historically and critically. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, and number of volumes. Closing section: Specimens of the Hungarian language from 1000 to 1877. Index. [MnU] GeLBM
24. Petrik Géza. Kalauz az újabb magyar irodalomban. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkereskedők Egylete, 1894. 288p.
A subject catalogue of books published in Hungary from 1860 to 1892, giving the author, title, place and date of publication, and publisher. No attention to textbooks. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] NN NNC
25. — Magyar könyvészet. 1860-1875. Jegyzéke az 1860-75. években megjelent magyar könyvek és folyóiratoknak. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkereskedők Egylete, 1885. 467p.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books and of articles in the most important dailies and periodicals published in Hungary from 1860 to 1875. No attention to works in foreign languages published in Hungary or to works concerned with Hungary published abroad. Index of translators and authors and subject index in 18 major divisions. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] DLC IU MB MH MnU NN NNC NjP OCl AsWU FrPBN FrPS GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
26. — Magyar könyvészet. 1886-1900. Az 1886-1900. években megjelent magyar könyvek, térképek és atlaszok összeállítása. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkereskedők Egyesülete, 1908-1913.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books, maps, and atlases published in Hungary from 1886 to 1900. No attention to periodicals published in foreign languages or to periodicals published in Hungary. Only titles of latter. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] Vol. I, Alphabetical list of books, maps, and atlases (author, co-author, and translator index); vol. II, Subject index to vol. I. DLC IU MB MH MnU NN NNC NjP OCl AsWU FrPBN FrPS GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
27. Petrik Géza (és a 15/6 füzettől Barcza Imre). Magyar könyvészet. 1901-1910. években megjelent magyar könyvek és folyóiratok, atlaszok és térképek összeállítása. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Könyvkiadók és Könyvkereskedők Országos Egyesülete, 1917-1928. [The projected third volume was not published.]
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books, articles in periodicals, atlases, and maps published in Hungary from 1901 to 1910. An index of learned periodicals published during the period. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] Vol. I, A-K; vol. II, L-Z. DLC IU MB MH MnU NN NNC NjP OCl [AsWU] FrPBN GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
28. Petrik Géza. Magyarország bibliográfiája. 1712-1860. Könyvészeti kimutatása a Magyarországban s hazánkra vonatkozólag külföldön megjelent nyomtatványoknak. I-IV. kötet. Budapest: Dobrowsky Agost és Pallas Nyomda, 1882-1892.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books published in Hungary and books concerned with Hungary published in foreign countries from 1712 to 1860, giving the title, date of publication, format, and total pages. [For additions to this item, see no. 12. For books published in Hungary from 1860 on, see annotation to no. 12. For items reporting on materials on Hungary in non-Hungarian languages, consult the annotation to no. 9.] Vol. I, A-G; vol. II, GY-O; vol. III, Ö-Z; vol. IV, Supplement and author index. ICN MH MnU NN AsWU FrPBN GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyGNSU
29. Ráth György. "Adalékok Szabó Károly Régi Magyar Könyvtárához," Magyar Könyvszemle, V-XIV (1880-1889).
Regular additions to Szabó´s Könyvtár (no. 34) in articles from 1880 to 1889, following the same method of organization and documentation. [See also nos. 2, 7, 17, and 37.] ICJ [MH] MiU [NNC] AsWN [FiHU] GeLBM GeOB [GyBA] GyBH [ItFU]
30. Sándor István. Magyar könyvesház, avagy a magyar könyveknek kinyomtatások szerint való rövid említésök. Győr: Streibig József Betűivel, 1803. 285p.
A catalogue of 3621 Hungarian books published in Hungary from 1533 to 1800 (1054 titles prior to 1711, 2567 from 1711 to 1800). Arranged by year of publication, with subdivision by place of publication, and giving title, format, and author. List of 1035 authors and translators providing their place of residence and their occupations, if known. [For other works recording similar materials prior to 1861, see the annotation to no. 34.] AsWU GeLBM
31. Steinhofer Károly, Kőhalmi Béla, Pikler Blanka és többen. "Magyar könyvészet. 1911-1917," Magyar Könyvkereskedők Évkönyve, XXII-XXVIII (1912-1918). [A periodical published by Magyar Könyvkereskedők Egylete, Budapest, as a supplement to Corvina, a bibliographical Journal issued by Magyar Könyvkiadók és Könyvkereskedők, Zeneműkiadók és Zeneműkereskedők Egylete, Budapest; appeared monthly (irregular but always 12 numbers each year)]
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books published in Hungary from 1911 to 1917. Belles-lettres by title as well as author. Data: author, title, translator, editor, format, total pages, place and date of publication, and publisher. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] Vol. XXII-XXIV; 1911-1913; vol. XXIV-XXVIII, 1914, 1917.
32. Szabó, George. Corvinus manuscripts in the United States. A bibliography. New York: Kossuth Foundation, 1960. 20p.
A bibliography of studies of four American-owned Corvinus manuscripts (Didymus Alexandrinus, Cicero, Livius, Tacitus) and the incunabulum Statuta Urbis Romae. Hungarian titles also in English. DLC NNC ItFU
33. Szabó Károly. Az 1473-tól megjelent nem-magyar nyelvű hazai nyomtatványok jegyzéke. Budapest: Magyar Királyi Egyetemi Könyvnyomda, 1883. 118p.
An alphabetical list, by author, of books published in Hungary in nonHungarian languages, mainly in Latin, from 1473 to 1711. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, and format. [For other sources providing information about materials on Hungary in non-Hungarian languages for various years, see the annotation to no. 9.] DLC AsWN FiHU GyGNSU ItFU
34. — Régi magyar könyvtár. Könyvészeti kézikönyv. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1879-1885.
A chronological list of 4276 books in Hungarian published from 1531 to 1711, giving the place and year of publication, format, pages, history of printing for each title. Location of single publications and identification of anonymous works. [See also nos. 2, 7, 17, 29, and 37. For catalogues of Hungarian works published during a similar period, see nos. 30 and 39; for catalogues of similar materials published from 1860 on, consult the annotation to no. 12.] Vol. I, 1531-1711 (name index); vol. II, 1473-1711 (separate name and subject indices). DLC MiU MnU NN NNC OU AsWN AsWU FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
35. Szabó Károly és Hellebrant Árpád. Régi magyar könyvtár. Könyvészeti kézikönyv. III-I/III-2. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1896-1898.
A chronological catalogue of 4831 works by Hungarian authors published abroad in non-Hungarian languages from 1480 to 1711, with citations handled as in no. 34. [For other sources providing information about materials on Hungary in non-Hungarian languages for various years, see the annotation to no. 9.] Pt. I, 1480-1670; pt. II, 1671-1711, with addenda (name index). DLC MnU NN NNC [OCl] AsWN [FiHI] FrPBN GeCU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
36. Szollás Ella, Droszt Olga és Mokcsay Júlia. Magyar könyvészet. A magyarországi nyomdák és egyéb sokszorosító vállalatok 1936-1941. évi kötelespéldányszolgáltatása és nyomtatványaik: könyvek, hírlapok, folyóiratok címjegyzéke. I-VI. füzet. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1939-1944
An annual alphabetical catalogue, by author, of books and articles. published in Hungary from 1936 to 1941. Besides author and title, provides place of publication, publisher, pages, and format; page numbers of articles. [For other works covering similar materials from 1860 on, see the annotation to no. 12.] DLC MH NN NNC AsWN FiHU GeLBM GeOB GyBS
37. Sztripszky Hiador. Adalékok Szabó Károly Régi Magyar Könyvtár című munkájának I., II. kötetéhez. Pótlások és igazítások. 1472-1711. Budapest: n.p., 1912. 710p.
A collection of all additions to Szabó´s Könyvtár (no. 34) and their corrections. Lists 451 works in Hungarian and 281 in foreign languages. Date of first citation, 1527; of last, 1711. Index of authors for each of the original two volumes and of places of publication, with citations under each arranged alphabetically by typographer. [See also nos. 2, 7, 17, and 29.] FrPS
38. Tájékoztató a megjelenő könyvekről. Budapest: Állami Könyvterjesztő Vállalat, 1957+.
A monthly record of books published in Hungary during the period in all areas of learning. Also book reviews and articles on books and authors and related matters. Illustrated. [See also nos. 6, 20, and 21.] DLC [MH] NN [FiHI]
39. Wallaszky, Pál. Conspectus reipublicae litterariae in Hungaria. Pozsony és Lipcse: Anton Loewe, 1785. 326p.
A catalogue of Hungarian books published from the period prior to the literary renaissance to 1783. Concerned largely with the subjects of physics, natural history, astronomy, antiquity, geography, philology, and grammar, but contains materials on Hungarian literature and belles-lettres. Prolegomena: Summary of the histories, bibliographies, and lexicons of Hungarian literature that had appeared previous to the work. Provides author, title, and summary of a work, with all materials in chronological order, and treats the intellectual developments of which the books are a vital part. [For other works recording similar materials prior to 1861, see the annotation to no. 34.] ICN MH NN AsWN AsWU FiHI FrPS GeLBM GeLU GeOB GyGNSU
B. BIBLIOGRAPHIES OF FOREIGN LITERARY AND CULTURAL INFLUENCES AND RELATIONS
[Bibliographical data on translations are also to be found in other sections and subsections. In the previous subsection, General Bibliographies, several of the citations, especially no. 9, are to be consulted for such information. Nos. 30 and 31 contain information on translators. The subsection immediately below, grouped by countries, contains records of translations in nos. 50, 51, 52, 56, 57, 58, 63, 64, 69, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, and 78. Many items in Section VII are concerned, in whole or in part, with the role of translations as an influence on Hungarian literature; as a result, a number of its items record data on translations, usually in the form of lists and often about individual authors: nos. 244, 250, 251, 254, 257, 260, 262, 268, 274, 276, 279 280, 281, 284, 285, 286, 291, 294, 298, 303, 304, 311, 312, 315, 323, 325 329, and 337. Lists of translations are also to be found in nos. 369, 374, 416, 521 (also a history), 534, 691 and 698. Substantial numbers of translations into non-Hungarian languages are to be found in nos. 211, 214, 218, 220, 354 374 678 714, 715, 719, 726, and 728.]
40. Demeter Tibor. Magyar szépirodalom idegen nyelven. I-V. kötet. Budapest: Szerző, 1952.
A catalogue of translations of Hungarian belles-lettres into foreign languages to its own date. Alphabetically by author, with translations grouped by language under each work. Data: title, translator, place and date of publication; for translations in periodicals, inclusive page numbers. [Apparently only about a hundred mimeographed copies of this work have been published. Copies are available in major libraries in Hungary. Specific questions about translations may be addressed to Magyar Irodalomtörténeti Intézet, Budapest XI, Ménesi út, which owns a copy. NN owns a first volume (Aba-Beck) of a 1957 edition of this work, also in mimeographed form.] Vol. I, Aba-Füst; vol. II, Gaál-Justh; vol. III, Kabos-Péterfy; vol. IV, Petőfi Sándor; vol. V, Petrichevich Zsolt. [NN] GyBH
41. Gulyás Pál. Magyar szépirodalom idegen nyelven a Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum könyvtárában. I-II. rész. Budapest: Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum Könyvtára, 1915-1919. [Title to Pt. II: Magyar szépirodalom idegen nyelven a Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum naptárgyűjteményében. Also appeared in Magyar Könyvszemle, XXII (1913-17), XXVIII (1919); was published separately in Budapest, in 1919, by G. Ranschburg.]
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of Hungarian works translated into foreign languages in the collection of the Library of the Hungarian National Museum. Divisions: (1) Individual authors, (2) Collected works by literary type (poetry, drama, fiction), (3) Guide indices (titles of translations alphabetically, chronological lists of translations, publishers and place of publication; names of translators, list of translated authors). Data: title, date, and translator for each entry. [Additions have been made to this two-part work by Antal Hermann in an article in Magyar Könyvszemle, XXIX (1920/21), 92-95.] Pt. I, Individual authors and collections of poetry, drama, and prose fiction (indices of translations by languages, by chronological order, by place of publication, and by author); pt. II, Translations in the collection of almanacs (indices as in pt. I). MH [NN] AsWN FiHU GeLBM [GeOB] GyBH
42. — "Népköltészetünk idegennyelvű fordításai," Ethnographia, XXVIII (1917), 112-127, 278-303; XXX (1919), 127-131.
After discussing and evaluating translations of Hungarian folk tales and songs, lists their translations in the manner of no. 41, in the first two articles. Last article concerned with translations in two periodicals: Ungarische Revue, published in Budapest, 1881-1894, under the editorship of Pál Hunfalvy and Gusztáv Heinrich, and Összehasonlító Irodalomtörténeti Lapok, founded in 1877 and edited by Sámuel Brassai and Hugó Meltzl. DLC NN NNC FiHI [GeLBM] [GyBS]
43. Gyulai, Augustus. Bibliography of English authors' works translated into [the] Hungarian language. 1620-1908. Budapest: Ármin Fritz, 1908. 48p.
A list of English and American works translated into Hungarian from 1620 to 1908, arranged by subject: (1) Poetry, (2) Drama, (3) Prose fiction, (4) Literary history and studies of language, (5) History, (6) Geography, (7) Philosophy and sociology, (8) Law and parliament, (9) Natural history, and (10) Theology. MnU FrPS GeLBM
44. Index translationum. Répertoire international des traductions. International bibliography of translations. Paris: Institut International de Coopération Intellectuelle, nos. 1-31 (July 1932-January 1940); New Series, Paris: UNESCO, Vol. I+ (1948+).
Lists of pamphlets and books of literary, scientific, educational, and cultural subjects translated into the languages of reporting countries. Arranged alphabetically by country with subject divisions under each. Headings in French and English. Quarterly, 1932-1940; annually, 1948+. Increase of reporting countries in Old Series from 6 to 14, in New Series from 26 to 63 (with no. 12, 1959). Index of authors; index of translators. Widely available in U.S.; AsWN AsWU [FiHU] FrPBN FrPS [GeCU] GeLBM [GyBS]
45. Kozocsa Sándor és Papp Sámuel. A bolgár irodalom magyar bibliográfiája. 1945-1954. Kísérlet. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1955, 71p.
A catalogue of Bulgarian belles-lettres translated into Hungarian from 1945 to 1954, arranged in the following divisions: (1) General (including Hungarian studies of Bulgarian literature), (2) Collected works, (3) Works by unidentified authors, and (4) Individual authors. Titles in Bulgarian and Hungarian. Preface in Bulgarian, French, and Hungarian. MnU GyBS
46. Leffler Béla. "Magyar írók dán nyelven," Irodalomtörténet, III (1914), 215-220.
An alphabetical list of translations, by author, and discussions of translators of Hungarian belles-lettres into Danish, especially Schumacher de Meza, from the first translation in 1874 to 1910 and after. DLC MnU NNC AsWN AsWU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
47. — "Magyar írók svéd nyelven," Irodalomtörténet, III (1914), 67-71.
An alphabetical list of translations, by author, and discussions of Hungarian belles-lettres in Swedish from the first treatise in 1797 and the first translation in 1875 to 1910 and after. DLC MnU NNC AsWN AsWU GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
48. Magyarország a világirodalomban. Budapest: Irodalmi Tájékoztató, 1937. 35p.
A list of translations of Hungarian works in all areas of learning, including language and literature, arranged by language: Belgian, Bulgarian, Czechoslovakian, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Latin, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Rumanian, Spanish, Swedish, and Yugoslavian. NN AsWN
49. Szentkirályi József. "Magyar költemények angol fordításban," Angol Filológiai Tanulmányok, IV (1942), 217-294. [A periodical published in Budapest, 1936-1944 by the Universities of Budapest and Debrecen for the purpose of showing the work being carried on at the University of Budapest on parallel researches in literary history and linguistics, to stress the interdependence of these two branches of philology.]
After summarizing the state of translations of Hungarian poetry into English and commenting on them critically, lists the translations to its own time alphabetically under names of poets. MnU GeOB
2. LITERARY AND CULTURAL INFLUENCES AND RELATIONS
[Information about the publication of materials on Hungarian literary and cultural subjects in non-Hungarian languages is also contained in the preceding subsection, General Bibliographies. For guidance to such data, consult especially the annotation to no. 9. Bibliographical data on this category are also available in various items in Section VII. The following, not confined to a single author or country, contain bibliographies: nos. 231, 233, 234, 236 and 243. Other items containing bibliographies on individual non-Hungarian writers or literary and cultural influences and relations not reported by countries in this subsection are: Austria, no. 249; Holland, no. 321; Slavonia, no. 342; and Switzerland, no. 344. A number of works not concerned purely with the subject of this subsection contain bibliographies that may be utilized to locate sources: nos. 353, 378, 430, 431, 506, 718, and 736.]
50. Rudas Klára és Thoma Dardeli. Albán-magyar bibliográfia. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1956. 58p.
A catalogue of translations of Albanian belles-lettres into Hungarian and of Hungarian books and articles dealing with Albania published from 1945 to 1954. Divisions: (1) Translations into Hungarian, (2) Works concerned with Albanian political questions, (3) Albanian and Hungarian relations, (4) Bibliographies on various aspects of Albanian life and learning, (5) Religion, (6) Statistics, (7) Domestic and foreign affairs, etc. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, publisher, and pages for books; author, title, volume, and date for articles. Preface in Albanian, p. i, in French, p. ii, and in Hungarian. Index of authors' names. DLC MnU FrPBN
B. ENGLAND AND AMERICA
[See also nos. 244, 263, 264, 269, and 274.]
51. Szentkirályi József és Anton László. "Hungaro-Britannica bibliographia," Angol Filológiai Tanulmányok, I (1936), 88-121; II (1937), 152-171; III (1938), 182-204; V-VI (1944), 217-256. [For note on periodical, see no. 49.]
A concise bibliography of books and articles published in Hungary on Anglo(American)-Hungarian literary and historical relations and of translations of English and American literature into Hungarian. In two parts: (1) Articles and books dealing with cross-currents in Anglo-Hungarian literary and historical relations; (2) Full bibliography for the designated year(s). Vol. I, 1867-1934; vol. II; 1935; vol. III, 1936; vols. V-VI, 1937-1942. [CSt] [CtY] [ICU] [IEN] [IU] MnU [NN] [NjP] [TxU] [WaU] [GeLBM] [GeLU] [GeOB]
52. Tronchon, H. "En guise d'Introduction à une bibliographie critique de 1'Influence anglaise en Hongrie," Revue des Études Hongroises, VI (1928), 46-51.
Lists and evaluates Hungarian studies of the following subject areas of the knowledge of England and its literature in Hungary: (1) Relations between England and Hungary, primarily intellectual, (2) Bibliographies of translations, (3) Hungarian authors and England, (4) Philosophy and aesthetics, (5) Historians, (6) Political oratory, (7) Travel literature, (8) Novel, (9) Poetry, and (10) Drama. CtY DLC ICU IU MoU NN WaU FiHI FiHU FrPBN [FrPS] GeLBM GeLU GyBH
[See also nos. 3, 4, 13, 15, 279, 280, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 291, 292, 295, 296, 297, and 298 for bibliographical data.]
53. Bretan Judit. A francia könyv Magyarországon. 1691-1860. Kolozsvár: Ferenc József-Egyetem Philológiai Intézete, 1944. 82p.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of 274 French books published in the French language in Hungary from 1691 to 1860, preceded by the examination of a 1776 Pozsony book catalogue to show the kinds of French books available for purchase and by an account of the catalogue of a lending library in Pest to show the kinds of French books preferred by the readers of the time. Last two items also in French, pp. 7-30. MnU FrPBN
54. Hevesi András. A magyar vonatkozású francia színdarabok bibliográfiája. Budapest. Stephaneum Nyomda és Könyvkiadó, 1929. 24p. [A reprint from Magyar Könyvszemle, XXXVIII (1929)]
A catalogue of 55 French plays using Hungarian materials. Data: dates of presentation, details of publication, comments on presentations, and summaries of the Hungarian materials in each. MnU
55. Jezerniczky, Margit. Les impressions en français de Hongrie. (1707-1848) Szeged: Szegedi Egyetem Francia Philológiai Intézete, 1933. 100p.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of 157 books in French or concerned with France published in Hungary from 1707 to 1848, preceded by an essay tracing the cultural relations between the two countries. Data: author, title, place of publication, publisher, date of publication. Summary in Hungarian, pp. 91-96. DLC NN FrPIH FrPS GeLU GyBH GyBS GyGNSU ItFU
[See also nos. 10, 11, 300, 303, 306, 307, 309, 310 311, 312, 314, 316, 570 731, and 732 for bibliographical data.]
56. Albert Gábor, D. Szemző Piroska és Vizkelety András (összeáll.). Schiller Magyarországon. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1959. 277p. [Under preparation in this series: G. B. Shaw Magyarországon; Goldoni Magyarországon; Mark Twain Magyarországon. See no. 64]
A bibliography of Schiller's works and his writings published in Hungary to the end of December, 1957: editions; Hungarian studies of Schiller; his poetry, dramas, and prose. Introduction, in German, concerned with his influence on Hungarian literature, pp. 9-52. Among writers discussed: Kazinczy, Vörösmarty, József Katona, János Kis, Kölcsey, Petőfi. Illustrated. ICU MnU NNC AsWN GeCU GyBH ItFU
57. Bürgin, Hans. Das Werk Thomas Manns. (Eine Bibliographie unter Mitarbeit von Walter A. Reichart und Erich Neumann) Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1959. 319p.
A bibliography of Mann's works, their translations, and their studies in all languages, including Hungarian. Arranged by languages under particular type of publication. Translations under original title by languages. Data: title, translator, illustrations, place of publication, publisher, date of publication, format, and total pages. Title, subject, and name indices. CU CtY DLC ICU InU MH NN NNC NjR WaU and others; AsWU FiHU GeCU GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
[For bibliographical data on classical Greece, see nos. 59 and 60.]
58. Horváth Endre. Magyar-görög bibliográfia. Budapest: Királyi Magyar Pázmány Péter Tudományegyetem Görög Filológiai Intézet, 1940. 95p.
A catalogue in two parts: (1) 153 books on modern Greek learning and literature by Greek authors published in Hungary in Greek and foreign languages, and (2) 347 Hungarian works (scholarly articles, translations, etc.) on modern Greek learning and literature written by Hungarians and published in Hungary. Purpose: to show the extent of the intellectual relations between the two countries. Pt. I, 1558 to 1888, arranged chronologically; pt. II, arranged alphabetically. Author and translator index for pt. I; author and subject index for pt. II. Introduction analyzing the contents of each part in Greek, pp. 22-33, 73-75. CtY DDO ICU MH NNC NjP AsWN AsWU FiHU FrPBN FrPIH FrPS GeLBM GeOB
[See also nos. 257, 259, 260, 261, 326, 330, and 332 for bibliographical data.]
59. Borzsák István. A magyar klasszika-filológiai irodalom bibliográfiája. 1926-1950. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1952. 424p.
A bibliography concentrating on Hungarian books and articles on classical and oriental subjects published 1926-1950 but including studies of value to research on Hungarian literature and its relations to classical writings and on Hungarian Latin literature, especially in the chapters on bibliography, collections, and periodicals (pp. 15-25), on Hungarian Latin literature in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, language, literary history, etc. (pp. 345-388), and on the influence and appreciation of antiquities (pp. 389-398). Catalogues: (1) Works in Hungarian regardless of place of publication, (2) Works by Hungarian writers in foreign languages regardless of the place of publication, (3) Reviews of works of Hungarian authors published in Hungary or abroad by Hungarian or foreign reviewers, (4) Works of foreign authors published in Hungary or in foreign periodicals concerned with Hungarian subjects, and (5) Contributions of a learned nature or concerned with learned matters. DLC ICU MH MnU NN NNC AsWN FiHU FrPBN GeLBM GeOB GyBA GyBH GyBS ItFU
60. Moravek Endre. A magyar klasszika-filológiai irodalom bibliográfiája. 1901-1925. Budapest: Királyi Magyar Egyetemi Nyomda, 1930. 162p.
A catalogue of books and articles by Hungarian scholars, for the years 1901 to 1925, on Hungarian history, the history of ideas and archeology, Latin and Greek language and literature, schools of classical learning in Hungary or foreign languages; also articles in newspapers and studies of Hungarian scholars published in foreign countries. Though mainly concerned with Greek and Latin language and literature, contains material on the relations of Hungarian literature with classical writings and an appendix on the history of Hungarian humanism (pp. 138-140). Arranged by area of learning, with subject subdivisions. Name index. CU NNC OCU FrPBN FrPIH GyBH
61. Pálinkás, László. Bibliografia italiana della lingua e letteratura ungheresi. Roma: Istituto di Cultura Ungherese per L'Italia, 1943. 64p.
Lists 447 books and articles on Hungarian language and literature in Italian, arranged by subject and type. In two parts: (1) Language (grammar, dictionaries, linguistics) and (2) Literature (history, anthologies, prose, poetry, drama, periodicals, biography, etc.). Data: for books, author, title, place and date of publication, publisher, total pages; for articles, author, title, volume and year, and inclusive page numbers. Name index. ICN ItFU
62. Zolnai Klára. A magyarországi olasz nyomtatványok. 1699-1918. Budapest: Szerző Kiadása, 1932. 104p.
A bibliography of Italian writings published in Hungary from 1699 to 1918. An introduction tracing the course of Hungarian knowledge of Italian literature by types. Locates titles in Hungarian and in some European libraries. Summary in Italian, p. 104. [Bibliographical section published in Magyar Könyvszemle, XXXIX (1932/34)] DLC NN AsWN FiHU FrPIH GeLBM ItFU
63. Staud Géza. Ibsen drámái Magyarországon. Budapest: Antiqua r.t., 1943. 29p.
A bibliography of the performances of Ibsen's plays in Budapest and of Hungarian translations of his dramas. Performances divided under the National Theatre, the Comedy Theatre, and the Thália (translator and number of performances given), into those receiving single performances, and into those performed by visiting foreign companies. Editions of Hungarian translations listed alphabetically by title (translator, place and date of publication, publisher, format, total pages given). Bibliography of Hungarian studies of Ibsen, divided into monographs published separately and into articles in periodicals. DLC
[See also no. 59.]
64. Ferenczyné Wendelin Lidia. Kínai-magyar bibliográfia. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1959. 334p. [For other titles in this series, see no. 56.]
A catalogue of Hungarian translations of Chinese belles-lettres and of Hungarian studies and articles dealing with China from the 18th century to 1959. In three parts: (1) Studies and bibliographies dealing with China in general, including works on sinology and a bibliographical survey of sinological literature, (2) Books, articles, and studies of specific fields of special knowledge, arranged by areas of learning (geography, ethnology, history, culture, etc.), and (3) Belles-lettres, alphabetically by name of Chinese author. Data: translator, author, title, place and date of publication, and pages; inclusive pages for periodical articles. Introduction and chapter titles in Hungarian, Russian, and English. English introduction, pp. 15-17; Russian, pp. 9-14. CLSU CSt DLC MH MnU NIC NNC WvU FiHU GyBS
65. Moravcsik, Julius. "Ungarische Bibliographie der Turkologie und der orientalisch-ungarischen Beziehungen. 1914-1925," Körösi Csoma-Archivum, II (1926), 199-236. [A periodical on oriental studies, published in Budapest by the Körösi Csoma-Archivum and edited by Gyula Németh]
Books, dissertations, and articles dealing with Turkey (Pt. I) and Hungary's relations with the language, culture, and civilization of the Near East, published in Hungary from 1914 to 1925 as individual works or as articles in periodicals; also articles by foreign scholars in Hungarian periodicals and works of Hungarian specialists published abroad separately or in periodicals. Subject divisions under countries: primary researches, language, ethnography, archeology, history, etc. Frequent but brief annotations in Hungarian and German. Hungarian titles in German also. DLC AsWN GeCU GyGNSU
66. Rásonyi, László. "Ungarische Bibliographie der Turkologie und der orientalisch-ungarischen Beziehungen. 1926-1934," Körösi Csoma-Archivum, I. kiegészítő kötet (1936), 1-66. [For note on periodical, see no. 65)
A continuation of no. 65, from 1926 to 1934. Brief annotations in German only. DLC AsWN GeCU GeLBM GyGNSU
67. Kertész János. Hungaria et Polonia. A magyar-lengyel kapcsolatok bibliográfiája. Vác: Kapisztrán Nyomda, 1934. 21p.
An introductory bibliography of Hungarian studies of Poland and of Hungarian relations with Poland, arranged in alphabetical order by subject with each divided into books and articles: (1) Polish internal politics, (2) Poland's foreign relations, (3) Hungarian and Polish relationships, (4) Polish history, (5) Báthory, (6) Bem, (7) Sobieski, (8) Poland's monetary system, trade, and economics, and (9) Addenda. NN AsWN GyMWd
68. — Lengyelország a magyar sajtóban. Magyar-lengyel bibliográfia. Budapest: Magyar Mickiewicz Társaság, 1938. 94p.
Books and articles in learned journals and newspapers dealing with Hungarian and Polish relations, arranged by subjects, with each subdivided into books and articles. Among numerous subjects: Hungarian-Polish relations, József Bem, István Báthory, János Sobieski, Hungarians in Poland, Poles in Hungary, Miklós Horthy in Poland, literature, music and art, Pilsudski and Rydz-Smigly, common Hungarian and Polish frontiers, and Polish government, life, manners and people. Not a critical selection and without annotations. MnU GyMWd
69. Kozocsa Sándor. Mickiewicz Magyarországon. A költő halálának századik évfordulójára. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár Bibliográfiai Osztálya, 1955. 64p.
Hungarian works of Mickiewicz in three parts: (1) Translations of his collected works, (2) Translations of his individual works, and (3) Studies of Polish literature also covering Mickiewicz and studies of Mickiewicz. Introduction concerned with sketching the course of Hungarian knowledge of his works from the 1820's to the present. Titles in Polish and Hungarian. Summaries in Polish and French, p. 63 and p. 64, respectively. DLC MH NN NNC AsWN FrPBN GeCU GeLBM GyBA GyBS GyGNSU
[See also no. 335 for bibliographical data.]
70. Veress, Andrei. Bibliografia română-ungară. Românii in literatura ungară si Ungurii in literatura română. I-III. kötet. Bucuresti: Cartea Românească, 1931-1935
A chronological catalogue of 2377 Hungarian and Romanian works concerned with the subject of the two countries and their relations published from 1473 to 1878: history, theology, geography, natural sciences, and belles-lettres. Works and contents described in detail. Introduction in Rumanian, v-xvi, and French, xvii-xxxiv. Author and title, editor and printer, and general indices in each volume. Vol. I, 1473-1780; vol. II, 1781-1838; vol. III, 1839-1878. DLC MH NN NNC FrPBN [GeLBM] GyBS
[See also no. 337 for bibliographical data.]
71. Kozocsa Sándor (összeáll.). Az orosz irodalom magyar bibliográfiája. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1947, 331p.
Russian literature in Hungary from its beginnings to September 1947, in two parts: (1) Hungarian studies of Russian literature arranged chronologically and (2) Hungarian translations of Russian literature arranged alphabetically by name of author. Data: author, title, subtitle, translator, transcriber, illustrator, place and year of publication, publisher or printer, pages, appendices, number of volumes, the series in which the work was published, and reviews. Index of names of authors and of general names. Comment on the literary relations of Hungary with Russia in introduction in Hungarian, Russian, pp. 313-322, and English, pp. 323-331. DLC NNC AsWN GeLBM GeOB
72. Kozocsa Sándor és Radó György. Az orosz irodalom magyar bibliográfiája. 1947 szeptember-1948 szeptember. Budapest: Országos Széchényi Könyvtár, 1949. 74p.
A continuation of no. 71. Titles in Hungarian and Russian. General name index and list of translators. MH NN AsWN FiHU GyBA GyBH
73. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája 1944-ig. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1956. 703p.
A catalogue of around 1200 Hungarian translations of Russian literary works and of Hungarian books and articles dealing with general Russian literature and individual authors published in Hungary through 1944. In two parts: (1) Russian literature and (2) Literature of other Soviet peoples, with the data under each literary group subdivided into (a) General works, (b) Anthologies, (c) Folklore, (d) Works of known authors, and (e) Works of unknown authors. Covers the literature of forty-one Soviet peoples. Each section arranged chronologically by date of publication, to show how Russian literature came to be known in the Hungarian language. An introductory essay, in Hungarian and Russian, xxx-lix, surveying Hungarian knowledge of these literatures. Summary of the work in English, p. , French, p. , and German, p. . General name index in Hungarian and Russian. FiHU
74. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája. 1945-1949. Budapest: Magyar-szovjet Társaság Kiadója, 1950. 1000 col.
A catalogue of 6507 translations of Russian literature into Hungarian and of Hungarian books and articles on Russian literature, including those published in Hungarian in Rumania; from 1945 to 1949, arranged in the following divisions: (1) General works, (2) Anthologies, (3) Chronicles, sagas, Iegends, and historical songs by unknown authors, and (4) Individual authors. Titles in Hungarian and Russian. Name, non-Soviet literature, and subject indices in Hungarian and Russian. Author index and list of translators. Statistical tables on the works cited by literary genres. DLC NN
75. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája. 1950. Budapest: Közoktatásügyi Kiadó, 1952. 312p.
A continuation of no. 74 into 1950, using the same method of organization and principle of selection, except that Hungarian works published in Rumania are omitted.
76. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája. 1951. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1953. 337p.
A continuation of no. 75 into 1951, using the same method of organization and principle of selection. Catalogues 2517 titles and shows number of titles by literary genres.
77. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája. 1952. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1954. 375p.
A catalogue of 2603 titles of books, articles, and pamphlets supplementing no. 74 and listing the Russian writings published in Hungary in 1952: Translations into Hungarian, studies of translated authors, works on Soviet literature, articles and bibliographies on Soviet literature. Divisions: (1) General subjects, (2) Collected works, (3) Folk tales and songs, historical songs, etc., by unknown writers, (4) Translations of works by individual authors, and (5) General name and author indices, list of translators, and index of non-Russian literature. DLC GyBH GyBS
78. — A szovjet népek irodalmának magyar bibliográfiája. 1953. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1955. 424p.
A continuation of no. 77 into 1953, using the same method of organization and principle of selection. Catalogues 2991 titles according to literary genres. DLC FrPBN
C. CLASSIFIED AND DETAILED BIBLIOGRAPHIES OF LITERATURE AND RELATED SUBJECTS
[Information about materials in this category is also available, frequently with the aid of subject groupings in the text or subject indices, in the subsection on General Bibliographies. Indeed, for the years prior to 1875, the researcher in belles-lettres and literary history is almost entirely dependent on these general bibliographies as guides to materials Basic to his investigations.
The subsection on Indices to Contents of Scholarly Periodicals is also useful as a guide to articles on literature and the subjects related to it. Concealed bibliographies are to be found in all sections concerned with literature and the subjects related to it. Special note must be taken of one of these items. Among the histories of Hungarian literature, Pintér's 8-volume work (no. 382) contains such an extensive and detailed bibliographical apparatus within its chapters that its repetition as an item in this subsection is nearly justifiable.
In this subsection, an attempt has been made to record especially those bibliographies that focus on Hungarian belles-lettres and literary history from 1875, when the first such tool was created by Szinnyei, to 1955, the last year for which a bibliography in the series by Sándor Kozocsa is available to date. These bibliographies are, in chronological sequence, as follows: nos. 107 (1875-1889), 87 (1885-1918), 89 (1912-1947), 85 (1918-1924), 83 (1925-1927), 95 (1927-1931), 93 (1932-1938), 94 (1939-1944), 96 (1945-1949), 97 (1950), 98 (1951-1952), 99 (1953), 100 (1954), and 101 (1955). All these tools are available at MnU, those in periodicals on microfilm. For the years following 1955, the researcher will have to consult general bibliographies: nos. 6, 8, 16, 20, 21, and 38.]
79. Ballagi Aladár. Buda és Pest a világirodalomban. 1473-1711. Budapest: Budapest Székesfőváros Kiadása, 1925. 480p.
An annotated catalogue of 1097 books written between 1473 and 1711 concerned with the Hungarian capital, to show the extent and kind of interest contemporaries or persons living near the time of events discussed had in the city. In two divisions: (1) Matthias to the fall of Buda (1473-1541) and (2) Turkish occupation (1541-1686). Actually concludes with 1600, though heading to Pt. 2 shows 1686 and title 1711. MH NN NjR AsWN GeLBM GeLU GyBH
80. Benkő Loránd és Lőrincze Lajos. Magyar nyelvjárási bibliográfia. 1817-1949. Budapest: Akadémiai Könyvkiadó Vállalat, 1951. 259p.
A catalogue of articles and books on Hungarian dialects published from 1817 to 1949. Arranged alphabetically by geographical districts. Index of place and area names. [See nos. 86, 87, and 108.] DLC MH NN NNC FiHU FrPBN GeLBM GyBA GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
81. Biró Béla. A magyar művészettörténeti irodalom bibliográfiája. Budapest: Képzőművészeti Alap Kiadóvállalata, 1955. 611p.
A bibliography of Hungarian studies of the fine arts. Special attention to Hungary. Subjects under chronological headings. Data: author, title, publisher, place and date of publication. Author index. Table of contents also in German. CU DDO DLC ICU InU MH MnU NN NNC OCl AsWN FiHU GeCU GeLBM GyBA GyBS
82. M. Buday Júlia. A magyar filozófiai irodalom bibliográfiája. 1901-1925. Budapest: Királyi Magyar Egyetemi Nyomda, 1929. 248p.
A bibliography of Hungarian studies of world philosophy, including Hungarian, from 1901 to 1925. Hungarian philosophy and philosophers, pp. 64-81, divided into (1) General history and (2) Individual philosophers. Data: contributor, title (also in German), place and date of publication, publisher, and number of pages; for periodicals, title and pages. Table of contents also in German. Name index. NNC FrPIH GeLBM
83. Goriupp Aliz. "Irodalomtörténeti repertórium," Irodalomtörténeti Közlemények, XXXV-XXXVII (1925-1927).
A continuation of no. 85 for the years 1924 to 1927. DLC MH MnU NNC [OCl] AsWN AsWU [FiHI] [FrPBN] [FrPIH] GeLBM [GeLU] GyBH ItFU
84. György Lajos, Ferenczi Miklós és [később] Valentiny Antal (összeáll.). Az erdélyi magyar irodalom (1935-től Románia irodalmának) bibliográfiája. 1919-1938. év. Kolozsvár: Erdélyi Múzeum Egyesület, 1925-1939. I-XV. füzet. [The section for 1919-1924, by Lajos György, was also published in German: Die ungarische Literatur in Siebenbürgen (Brassó, 1925).]
A catalogue of works published by Hungarian writers in Transylvania from 1919 to 1938 arranged under subject headings: (1) Belles-lettres, (2) Science and education, (3) Religion, (4) Textbooks, (5) Jurisprudence, (6) Periodical literature, and (7) Miscellaneous. A series, with some covering more than one year. [DLC] [NN] [AsWN]
85. Hellebrant Árpád. "Irodalomtörténeti repertórium," Irodalomtörténeti Közlemények, XXVIII-XXXIV (1918-1924.).
An annual listing of books (and their reviews) and articles on literary history and belles-lettres published generally the year before the date of the volume. In two parts: (I) General and (II) Individual authors. Citations concerned with a single author listed alphabetically by name of scholar under author concerned. A continuation of the sections on literary history and belles-lettres in Hellebrant's bibliography (no. 87). [CtY] [DLC] [MH] MnU NNC [OCl] AsWN AsWU [FiHI] FrPBN [FrPIH] GeLBM [GeLU] GyBH [ItFU]
86. — "A magyar nyelvtudományi irodalom 1904-1917-ben," Magyar Nyelv, II-XIII (1906-1917).
An annual bibliography recording alphabetically by author's name the articles and books on Hungarian linguistics and language published during the year, from 1904 to 1917. [See nos. 80, 87, and 108.] CU CtY DLC MH [NNC] AsWU FiHI [FrPS] GeLBM [GyGNSU]
87. — "A magyar philológiai irodalom, 1885-1918. években," Egyetemes Philologiai Közlöny, X-XLIII (1886-1919).
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, title or subject, of books and articles and their reviews in each issue of the Egyetemes Philologiai Közlöny (no. 1222) for the years 1885 to 1918, usually under the following subject headings: (1) General linguistics, literary history, and ethnography; (2) Aesthetics and art history; (3) Philological pedagogy (the study, reading and writing of language, the Hungarian language, classical languages, German); (4) Finno-ugrian languages; (5) Aryan languages; (6) Eastern languages; (7) Hungarian language and literature (bibliography, literary history [including critical studies of belles-lettres and drama], individual authors, linguistics, school texts); (8) Classical languages and literatures (general studies; Greek history and antiquity, literary history and individual authors, linguistics; Latin history and antiquity, literary history and individual authors, grammars and readers; Hungarian antiquities in ancient times and the Middle Ages); (9) Teutonic languages and literatures; (10) Romance languages and literatures; (11) Slavic languages and literatures; and (12) Miscellaneous studies. [CU] [IU] [MH] MnU [NNC] [OCU] [OClW] [AsWN] FiHU [FrPIH] [FrPS] GyBH [ItFU]
88. Hungarian newspapers and periodicals: catalogue. Budapest: "Kultúra," 1956. 157p.
A survey of 246 newspapers and periodicals current in Hungary in 1956, including a number important to literary research. Descriptive annotation of each periodical in Hungarian and English. Arranged by subject. Index. [See nos. 91, 105, and 106.] DLC MnU
89. "Az Irodalomtörténet folyóiratszemléje," Irodalomtörténet, I-XXXVI (1912-1947).
A bibliography of articles appearing in Hungarian (I) Journals and (II) Newspapers, respectively, during the year, from 1912 to 1947, in each issue. Periodicals in each section listed alphabetically by title, with articles under each periodical arranged alphabetically by name of contributor. A summary of each article. [CU] [DLC] [MH] MnU [NN] [NNC] [NjP] [OCl] [AsWN] AsWU [FrPIH] [FrPS] GeLBM [GeLU] [GyBH] [GyBS] [GyGNSU]
90. Kemény G. Gábor és Katus László (szerk.). Magyar történeti bibliográfia. 1825-1867. IV. kötet. I. rész. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1959. 675p.
A continuation of Tóth's work (no. 109). A bibliography of the history of non-Hungarian peoples in Hungary and the problems of nationality from 1825 to 1867: (1) General works (by nationality groups), (2) Southern Slavs, (3) Croatians, (4) Serbs, (5) Slovenes, and (6) Slovaks. Works under each nationality subdivided into subjects, including literature (under "culture"). Name index. Table of contents also in Russian, German, French, and English. FiHU GeCU GyBA GyBS
91. Kereszty István. A magyar és magyarországi időszaki sajtó időrendi áttekintése. 1705-1867. Budapest: Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum Könyvtár, 1916. 98p.
The first catalogue of newspapers and periodicals published in Hungarian or in Hungary from the beginnings of journalism in 1705 to 1867. Data given chronologically and alphabetically under the language in which the periodical was printed. [The section for 1705 to 1849 originally appeared in Magyar Könyvszemle, XXIII (1914). See nos. 88, 105, and 106.] NN AsWN FiHU FrPIH GeLBM GeOB GyGGaU
92. Kosáry Domokos. Bevezetés a magyar történelem forrásaiba és irodalmába. I-III. kötet. Budapest: Közoktatásügyi Kiadóvállalat, Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó és Bibliotheca Kiadó, 1951-1958. [Though not published under Kosáry's name, the third volume is cited with the earlier volumes because it supplements them and contains the index to all three volumes.]
A critical bibliography of books and articles on Hungarian history and literature arranged chronologically by historical periods, with subject headings under each period, from their beginnings to 1825. Connects with Magyar történeti bibliográfia (no. 109). Vol. I, to 1711; vol. II, 1711-1825; vol. III, Supplement to vols. I and II and name index to all three volumes. [DLC] MH [MnU] [NNC] AsWN FrPBN GeLBM [GeLU] GeOB GyBH GyBS [GyGNSU]
93. Kozocsa Sándor (összeáll.). Az 1932-1938. év [magyar] irodalomtörténeti munkássága. I-VIII. füzet. Budapest: Pallas Irodalmi és Nyomdai r.t., 1933-1940.
A series of annual bibliographies of books and articles on Hungarian literary history and belles-lettres for the years 1932 to 1938. In each number: (I) General studies, alphabetically by name of author and (II) Individual writers, again alphabetically by name of author. DLC MnU
94. — Az 1939-1944. év [magyar] irodalomtörténeti munkássága. I-VI. füzet. Budapest: Országos Széchényi-Könyvtár Bibliográfiai Osztályának Kiadása,1941-1946.
A continuation of no. 93. [MH] MnU [NNC] [FiHU] [GeLBM]
95. — "Irodalomtörténeti repertórium," Irodalomtörténeti Közlemények, XXXVII-XLI (1927-1931).
A continuation of the Goriupp bibliography (no. 83) for the years (July) 1927 to 1931. DLC MH MnU [OCl] AsWN AsWU [FrPIH] GeLBM [GeLU] GyBH GyGNSU ItFU
96. — A magyar irodalom bibliográfiája. 1945-1949. Budapest: Közoktatásügyi Kiadóvállalat, 1950. 232p.
A catalogue of books and articles from selected periodicals (and their reviews) on Hungarian literary history. In two parts: (1) General studies, alphabetically by subject, literary type, literary period, etc.; (2) Individual authors, alphabetically. A continuation of no. 94. Name index. DLC MH MnU NN NNC AsWU FrPBN GeLBM GyBH GyBS
97. —A magyar irodalom bibliográfiája. 1950. Budapest: Közoktatásügyi Kiadóvállalat, 1951. 80p.
A continuation of no. 96. Additional sections: A supplement to the Bibliography of Hungarian literature for the years 1945 to 1949, Rumanian Hungarian literature and literary musical compositions. Name index. DLC MH MnU AsWN GeLBM GyBH
98. — A magyar irodalom bibliográfiája. 1951-1952. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1954. 179p.
A continuation of no. 97. A section for each year, divided into general studies, individual authors, and literary musical compositions. Subject index for general works. Name index. DLC MH MnU FiHI FiHU FrPBN GeLBM GeLU GyBA GyBH GyBS
99. — A magyar irodalom bibliográfiája. 1953. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1954. 207p.
A continuation of no. 98. In addition to sections on general studies, individual authors, and literary musical compositions, provides a list of collected works and anthologies separately instead of including them under general studies as previously. General works alphabetically by author, followed by works with titles only, alphabetically. Subject index for general studies. Name index. MH MnU NNC AsWN FiHI FiHU FrPBN GeLBM GeLU GyBA GyBH GyBS
100. — A magyar irodalom bibliográfiája. 1954. Budapest: Művelt Nép Könyvkiadó, 1956. 231p.
A continuation of no. 99. General section has subject headings and subheadings. Name index. MH MnU NNC FiHU GeLBM GeOB GyBA GyBH
101. — A magyar irodalom bibliográfia. 1955. Budapest: Gondolat Könyvkiadó, 1959 333p.
A continuation of no. 100. In three sections: (1) General, with subheadings by subject, (2) Collected works, and (3) General name index. MH MnU NNC FiHU GeCU GeLU GyBH
102. A regény története. Válogatott bibliográfia. Budapest: Tankönyvkiadó, 1955. 44p.
A selective bibliography of the history of the novel in world literature, including Hungarian, arranged by country and type. Gives locations in Hungarian libraries. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, and total pages. MnU
103. Sági István. "A magyar szótárak és nyelvtanok könyvészete," Magyar Könyvszemle, XXVIII (1920/21), 96-116; XXIX (1922), 72-156.
A chronological catalogue of 666 Hungarian dictionaries and grammars: (1) Dictionaries in two or more languages; (2) Special and technical dictionaries; (3) Collections of phrases, idioms, and proverbs; (4) Single-language subject dictionaries; (5) Hungarian grammars in Latin, Hungarian, and foreign languages; (6) Books of spelling rules, and (7) Handbooks of Hungarian style and philology. Data: author, title, publisher, and place and date of publication. Name index. [CSt-H] ICJ MiU NN NNC AsWN AsWU FiHU FrPBN [FrPS] GeLBM GyBA GyBH ItFU
104. Staud Géza. Magyar színészeti bibliográfia. Bibliographia theatralis hungarica. Budapest: Magyar Színháztudományi és Színpadművészeti Társaság, 1938. 351p.
An alphabetical catalogue, by author, of 1506 books and reprints of articles on the Hungarian theatre, to its own date, often giving details of their contents and listing reviews. Summary of previously published bibliographies on the subject in the introduction. Indices: (1) Works in foreign languages by countries, (2) Titles of works alphabetically, and (3) Name and subject. MnU GeLBM GyBH ItFU
105. Szalády Antal. A magyar hírlapirodalom statisztikája 1780-1880-ig. Budapest: Lampel Róbert Kiadása, 1884. 248p.
A catalogue of newspapers published in Hungary from 1780 to 1880, providing the following information for each: name of publication, place of publication, its subject concerns, names of editor and printer, numbers per year, price, and beginning and closing dates of publication. [See nos. 88, 91, and 106.] NN GyMWd
106. Szinnyei József. Hazai és külföldi folyóiratok magyar tudományos repertóriuma. Történelem és annak segédtudományai. I-III. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1874-1885.
A catalogue of articles from periodicals published in Hungary in Hungarian and foreign languages and from foreign periodicals on history and subjects helpful to its study, including studies of Hungarian writers and literary history in Vol. II. Organization varies. Subject classification in Vol. II, with each of the following major sections divided into Hungarian and foreign: (1) Universal and national history and related topics, (2) Biographies, (3) Biographical notes, (4) Topography, (5) Geography, (6) Antiquities, (7) Documents, (8) Cultural history, (9) Literary history, and (10) Church history. Chronological listing under some subjects, alphabetical under others; book reviews at end of each subject heading; year, pages, and, frequently, volume numbers. [See nos. 88, 91, and 105.] Vol. I, Materials from Hungarian learned journals, yearbooks, almanacs, and school bulletins, 1778-1873; vol. II, Articles from foreign and Hungarian newspapers, 1731-1880 (separate name and place indices for vols. I and II); vol. III, Science and mathematics, alphabetically by name of author (no index). DLC ICJ MnU [NN] PPAmP AsWU [FiHI] FrPBN GeLBM GyBH GyGNSU
107. — "Irodalomtörténeti repertórium," Figyelő, I-XXVI (1876-1889).
An alphabetical list, by author, of books (and their reviews) and articles concerned with Hungarian literary history for the years 1875 to 1889 in the periodical Figyelő (no. 1231). Appears in nearly every issue. Gives inclusive page numbers for articles. MnU [GeLBM] GyBH
108. Szinnyei József (ifj.). "A magyar nyelvészeti irodalom bibliographiája Révai előtt a Nemzeti Múzeum könyvtárában," Magyar Könyvszemle, VIII (1883), 148-163.
A chronological catalogue of 93 books dealing with Hungarian linguistics and language published from 1539 to 1803 to be found in the Library of the National Museum of Hungary. Data: place and date of publication, author, title, format, pages, colophon. [See 80, 86, and 87.] ICJ MiU AsWN FiHU GeLBM GeOB GyBH
109. I. Tóth Zoltán (szerk.). Magyar történeti bibliográfia. 1825-1867. I-III. kötet. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1950-1952. [For Vol. IV, see no. 90.)
A selected chronological listing of books and articles dealing with Hungarian historical events from 1825 to 1867. Subject headings under periods of history, with citations alphabetically by name of author. Data: for books, author, title, place and date of publication, and total pages; for articles, author, title, periodical, date, volume, and number. Materials on Hungarian culture, linguistics, and literature and on other subjects, besides history, of value to literary research in Vol. III. Materials on the relations of Hungary with other countries in Vol. I. [For a similar bibliography covering periods prior to 1825, see no. 92.] Vol. I, General; vol. II, Economics; vol. III, Politics, jurisprudence, education and schools, learning, the fine arts, the press, and religion and churches. CU DLC [ICU] MH MnU NNC AsWN FiHU FrPBN GeOB GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
110. Vass Klára. A szellemtudományok magyar bibliográfiája. A történeti vonatkozású irodalom. 1935. Budapest: Magyar Könyvtárosok és Levéltárosok Egyesülete, 1938. 225p.
A catalogue of 4012 books and articles appearing in 1935 on religion and churches, language, ethnics, national life, census, economics, regional history, culture, arts, music, literature, philosophy, natural sciences, medicine, technology, tool-subjects, books, archives, museums, and schools. Includes (1) individual books and articles published in Hungary; and (2) works published in foreign countries by Hungarian authors or concerned with Hungarian subjects. Data: author, title, place and date of publication, pages, and format; if article, name of periodical, volume and page numbers. AsWN FrPBN GeLBM
D. INDICES TO CONTENTS OF SCHOLARLY PERIODICALS
111. Bányai Elemér (szerk.). A Századok név- és tárgymutatója. Az 1867-1876. évi folyamok mutatója. (Naményi Lajos kéziratának felhasználásával) Budapest: Magyar Történelmi Társaság, 1908. 737p.
Name and subject index to the periodical Századok (no. 1276) for the years 1867 to 1876. Articles listed alphabetically under name of author; unsigned articles alphabetically by title. Largest part devoted to an alphabetical catalogue of names and subjects. ICU NNC GeLBM GyBH
112. "A Budapesti Szemle 1873-1893. évfolyamának tartalommutatója," Budapesti Szemle, XXXIII (1883), 1-22; LXXVI (1893), 473-504.
An alphabetical guide to the contents of Budapesti Szemle (no. 1218), divided as follows: (1) Articles by names of contributors, (2) Short stories and character sketches, (3) Poems, (4) Treatises by titles, and (5) Book notices, reviews, and open letters. CtY DLC NN NNC AsWN FrPIH GeLBM GyBH
113. Fűr István. Magyar irodalmi és nyelvészeti dolgozatok középiskoláink értesítőiben az 1920-1921. tanévtől. Szeged: Új Nemzedék Nyomda, 1939. 17p.
A guide to articles on Hungarian language and literature published in Hungarian high school bulletins from the academic year 1920/21 to 1937/38. Divisions: (1) Literature, (2) Linguistics, and (3) Methodology. Data: author, title, periodical, date, and inclusive pages. MnU
114. Galambos Ferenc és Pók Lajos. Nyugat repertórium. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Irodalomtörténeti Intézete, 1959. 571p.
The contents of Nyugat (no. 1272), divided as follows: (1) Belles-lettres, by nations; (2) Literary history of Hungary, by general subject and individual authors, and the history of foreign literatures, also by general subject and individual authors; (3) Bibliography, bibliophilia, and printing; (4) Religion; (5) Philosophy; (6) Social sciences; (7) Linguistics; (8) Natural sciences; (9) General culture; (10) Geography, history and biography. Data: author, title, year, volume, page numbers. Appendices: similarly organized guides to the contents of Magyar Géniusz, 1902-1903; Figyelő, 1905; Szerda, 1906; and Magyar Csillag, 1941-1944 (no. 1254). DLC MnU NN FiHU GyBH GyGNSU
115. Juhász Jenő. A Magyar Nyelv I-XXV. évfolyamának mutatója. Budapest: Magyar Nyelvtudományi Társaság, 1931. 347p.
An alphabetical guide to the first twenty-five volumes of Magyar Nyelv (no. 1257), divided as follows: (1) Articles by names of contributors, (2) Subject index, (3) Word index, by languages, and (4) Dialect index, by regions. NNC GyBH GyGGaU
116. — A Magyar Nyelv mutatója XXVI-L. kötetéhez. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1957. 480p.
A continuation of no. 115 for volumes 26 to 50 of Magyar Nyelv (no. 1257). Three parts, each alphabetical: (1) Table of contents, (2) Subject index, and (3) Hungarian word index. MH NNC GyBH GyGNSU
117. — Mutató a Nyelvtudományi Közlemények 1-50. kötetéhez. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1950. 670p.
The contents of the first fifty volumes of Nyelvtudományi Közlemények (no. 1271). In three parts: (1) Articles by names of contributors; (2) Articles by subjects, and (3) Words by Uralian, Altaian languages and by individual languages. NNC GeOB GyGNSU
118. Név- és tárgymutató a Turul 1883-1936. évfolyamához. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Heraldikai és Genealógiai Társaság, 1893-1940.
An alphabetical guide to Turul (no. 1282) for the years 1883 to 1936. Volumes differently organized. Vol. I: (1) Articles by name of contributors, (2) Subject index, (3) List of illustrations, and (4) Subject and name index. Vol. II: alphabetical name and subject index listing titles of articles (without the names of their authors) under subject. Vol. I, 1883-1892; vol. II, 1893-1936. NNC
119. Nyelvőrkalauz. Tartalomjegyzék, szó- és tárgymutató a Magyar Nyelvőr 1-69. kötetéhez. I-III. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Nyelvőr és Országos Néptanulmányi Társaság, 1898-1941.
The first sixty-nine volumes of Magyar Nyelvőr (no. 1258), divided into (1) Articles listed alphabetically by name of contributors, (2) Index of words, and (3) Subject index. Omits materials concerned with dialects. Vol. I, 1872-1896; vol. II, 1897-1921; vol. III, 1922-1940. MH NNC FiHI
120. Pelcz Béla és Vácz Elemér (szerk.). A Századok 1867-1936. évfolyamainak tartalommutatója. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Történelmi Társaság, 1917-1937.
An alphabetical guide to the contents of Századok (no. 1276) with the following divisions: (1) Articles and book reviews arranged alphabetically by names of contributors, (2) Unsigned and pseudonymous articles by title, (3) Necrology, and (4) Book reviews by name of contributor. Disregards the permanent columns and the subject-classification of the articles. Vol. I, 1867-1916; vol. II, 1917-1936. NNC
121. Pruzsinszky János (szerk.). Az Egyetemes Philologiai Közlöny I-XX. kötetének név- és tárgymutatója. A 20 kötet teljes tartalomjegyzékével. Budapest: Budapesti Philologiai Társaság, 1898. 346p.
An alphabetical guide to the first twenty volumes of Egyetemes Philologiai Közlöny (no. 1222), divided into (1) Subject index, mainly with catchwords, (2) Index of Greek words, (3) Index to articles, by name of contributor, and (4) Index of unsigned or initialed articles. NNC FiHU
122. Valentiny Antal és Entz Géza. Az Erdélyi Múzeum név- és szakmutatója. 1874-1917, 1930-1937. Kolozsvár: Erdélyi Múzeum Egyesület, 1942. 186p.
Author and subject indices to Erdélyi Múzeum (no. 1229) for the years 1874 to 1917 and 1930 to 1937. Subjects: (1) General works, (2) Philosophy, (3) Social sciences, (4) Philology and linguistics, (5) Natural sciences, (6) Applied sciences, (7) Fine arts, (8) Literature, (9) History, (10) Geography, (11) Biography, (12) Necrology, (13) Works related to the Erdélyi Múzeum, (14) Illustrations, and (15) Documents and letters. MnU
II. GENERAL ENCYCLOPEDIAS
[For articles on Hungary in all subjects, consult the following non-Hungarian encyclopedias: Chambers's encyclopaedia (London and New York: Oxford University Press, 1950; 15 vol.; CU DLC ICU MH MnU NNC NcD OU PLF ViU and others; FrPBN GeCU GeLBM GeLU GeOB); Dictionnaire encyclopédique Quillet, Publié sous la direction de Raoul Mortier (Paris: A. Quillet, 1953; 6 vol.; DLC MH FrPBN); Enciclopedia italiana di scienze, lettre ed arti. (Roma: Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, 1929-1939; 36 vol.; DCU DLC ICU MH MiU MnU NNC OC OClW ViU and others; FrPBN GeLBM [GyBH] ItFU); Bol'shaia sovetskaia entsiklopediia (Moskva, 1949-1958; 51 vol.; DS IC ICU MH MnU NN NNC ScU AsWN FiHU FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GeLU GyBA GyBH GyBS GyGNSU)]
123. A Pallas nagy lexikona. I-XVIII. kötet. Budapest: Pallas Irodalmi és Nyomdai r. t., 1893-1904.
A general encyclopedia. Bibliographical entries at ends of articles. Illustrated. Vol. XVII and XVIII, Addenda. DLC NN NNC OCl GyBH [GyBS] GyGGaU
124. Révai kétkötetes lexikona. (Főszerkesztő: Juhász Vilmos) Budapest: Révai Irodalmi Intézet, 1947-1948.
The first Hungarian general lexicon to be published after the Second World War. Brief articles. Illustrated. CU CoU DLC ICU MH MiD MnU NN NNC NjR OCl FrPBN GeOB GyBS ItFU
125. Révai nagy lexikona, (Szerkesztette Buday Árpád) I-XXI. kiegészített kötet. Budapest: Révai Testvérek Irodalmi Intézet r.t., 1911-1935.
A general encyclopedia. Bibliographies at ends of articles. Illustrated. Vol. XXI, Supplement (A-Z). DLC MiU MnU NN NNC OCl FiHI FiHU FrPIH GyBH
126. Új idők lexikona. (Szerkesztette Buday Árpád, Dobrovits Aladár és többen) I-XXIV. kötet. Budapest: Singer és Wolfner Irodalmi Intézet r.t., 1936-1942.
A general encyclopedia. Special attention to ethics, moral precepts, and Hungarian literature. Illustrated. DLC [MH] NN NNC OCl AsWN FrPIH GyBH GyGGaU
127. Új lexikon. (Szerkesztette Dormándi László és Juhász Vilmos) I-VI. kötet. Budapest: Dante-Pantheon Kiadás, 1936.
A general learned lexicon intended to place before the reader the comprehensive current knowledge of interest to him. Bibliographies at ends of entries. Illustrated. NN
128. Új magyar lexikon. (Szerkesztette az Akadémiai Kiadó Lexikonszerkesztősége) Eddig három kötet. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1959+. [To be completed in 6 volumes]
A general encyclopedia. DLC MH NN NNC FiHU FrPIH GeCU GyBA GyBH GyGNSU
III. HUNGARIAN DICTIONARIES
[For a bibliography of Hungarian dictionaries, see no. 103. For a history, see no. 487.]
129. Balassa József (szerk.) A magyar nyelv szótára. I-II. kötet. Budapest: Grill Károly Kiadása, 1940.
Contains 31,000 entry words. Concentrates on words current in modern Hungarian, but because of its interest in connecting the present vocabulary with its past, also includes those now extinct. Identifies and defines words (1) that appear in literature prior to the 18th century and are no longer in use, except occasionally in dialects, (2) that appear in literature preceding the 18th century, but are a part of the early Hungarian vocabulary, (3) that belong to a regional dialect, and (4) that are used among the lower social classes. Vol. I, A-K; vol. II, L-ZS. ICU MnU NN NNC OCl AsWN FiHI FrPIH GeLBM GyGNSU
130. Ballagi Mór (szerk.). A magyar nyelv teljes szótára, amelyben az egyes szók különböző értelmeinek körülírás általi szabatos meghatározásán kívül különös figyelem van fordítva azoknak szójárásos, közmondási, irodalmi, stb. használatára, valamint a szaktudományi és iparbeli műszókra is. I-II. rész. Budapest: Franklin-Társulat, 1867-1872.
Besides defining words, gives special attention to their use and meaning in phrases, proverbs, literature, etc., and some consideration to their use in technical and special branches of learning. [An abridgment of the first five volumes of no. 133.] Pt. I, A-Kar; pt. II, Kárpör-ZS. CSt-H DLC MnU NNC OCl FiHI FrPS GeLBM GyBH GyGGaU ItFU
131. Bárczi Géza. Magyar szófejtő szótár. Budapest: Királyi Magyar Egyetemi Nyomda, 1941. 348p.
An extensive etymology of approximately 6000 words, among which are to be found every more important root of the Hungarian standard vocabulary as well as the more frequent derivatives. Omits obsolete, dialect, or rare words, and, for the most part, lay words derived from foreign languages. ICU NN NNC AsWN AsWU FiHI GyBH ItFU
132. Bárczi Géza és Országh László (szerk.). A magyar nyelv értelmező szótára. Eddig két kötet. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1959+. [Remaining five volumes to be published by 1963]
Definitions of some 60,000 learned and everyday words in the Hungarian language. Entries also concerned with collocations of words, current usage, idiomatic expressions, synonyms, phrases, and proverbs. Words formed from the root at end of entry. Major purpose: to show in various ways the nuances, the flexibility, and the expressiveness of the Hungarian language. Vol. I, A-D; vol. II, E-GY. ICU MH MnU NNC FiHI FiHU GeCU GyBH GyGGaU GyGNSU
133. Czuczor Gergely és Fogarasi János (szerk.) A magyar nyelv szótára. I-IV. kötet. Pest: Emich Gusztáv Akadémiai Nyomdásznál, 1862-1867 (I-IV. kötet); Athenaeum Irodalmi és Nyomdai r.t., 1870-1874 (V-VI. kötet).
An unabridged dictionary of the Hungarian language; 110,784 entries, of which about 10 per cent are proper names. Vol. I, A-D; vol. II, E-H; vol. III, I-L; vol. IV, M-O; vol. V, P-S; vol. VI, T-ZS. DLC ICN MB MH MdBP MnU NN NNC AsWN FiHI FiHU FrPBN FrPIH FrPS GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyGNSU
134. Gombocz Zoltán és Melich János. (szerk.). Magyar etymológiai szótár. I-XVII. füzet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1914-1944.
Intended to create a complete etymological dictionary of the Hungarian language. Reached geburnus with No. XVII. [DLC] MH MnU [NN] NNC AsWN FiHI FiHU FrPIH [GeCU] [GeLBM] GeLU GeOB GyBH [GyGGaU] [GyGNSU]
135. Horger Antal. Magyar szavak története. Közérdekű magyar szófejtések gyűjteménye. Budapest: Kókai Lajos Kiadása, 1924. 193p.
A dictionary of Hungarian words with the most important and most interesting etymology. Purpose: to acquaint the high school teacher and the teacher-trainee with them. ICU MH NN AsWN FiHI GeLBM GyBH GyGGaU
136. Szamota István. Magyar oklevél-szótár. (Pótlék a Magyar Nyelvtörténeti Szótárhoz) Budapest: Hornyánszky Viktor Könyvkereskedése, 1902-1906. 1210 col.
A supplement to no. 137. Contains the important cultural words and expressions from documents of the 16th and 17th centuries. DLC NN AsWN FiHI FrPIH GeLBM GyBH
137. Szarvas Gábor és Simonyi Zsigmond (szerk.). Magyar nyelvtörténeti szótár. I-III. kötet. Budapest: Hornyánszky Viktor Akadémiai Könyvkereskedése,1890-1893.
A historical dictionary of the Hungarian language from the most ancient remains of the language to the beginning of language reform, or the time of the establishment of today's literary language. Vol. I, A-I; vol. II, J-S; vol. III, T-ZS. CtY DLC MB MH MdBP [NN] NNC AsWU FiHI FiHU FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GeOB GyBH GyGNSU
IV. GRAMMARS OF AND TREATISES ON THE HUNGARIAN LANGUAGE
[For bibliographical aids especially concerned with subjects in this category, consult nos. 80, 86, 103, and 108.]
138. Balassa József. A magyar nyelv könyve. A magyar nyelv multja és jelene. Helyes magyarság. Budapest: Dante Könyvkiadó, 1943. 469p.
After an examination of the history and development of the Hungarian language, provides a grammar of the language: its pronunciation and orthography, its word structure, and its sentence structure. InU NN NNC GeCU GyGGaU
139. Hall, Robert A., Jr. An analytical grammar of the Hungarian language. Baltimore: Linguistic Society of America, 1938. 113p. [Language monograph no. 18]
A grammar intended to meet the need for a descriptive and scientific grammar of the Hungarian language in English, with an analysis of the various elements of the language into its component parts. Presented from a purely synchronic point of view. Material restricted to everyday and prose language; dialectic, archaic, and poetic forms not included. Chapters: phonology, morphology, word-formation, syntax, sentence structure, specimen texts. Bibliography, pp. 112-113. DLC IC ICN ICU MH MnU NN NNC OCl AsWN AsWU FiHU FrPBN FrPS GeLU GyGNSU
140. Lotz, John. Das ungarische Sprachsystem. Stockholm: Ungarisches Institut, 1939. 295p.
A grammar of the Hungarian language devised to assist with learning the general and literary language and, at the same time, to set forth the distinctive principles and character of the language that govern matters of form and the meaning of words and sentences. CU ICU NN NNC TxU AsWN FiHI GeCU GeLU GyBH GyBS
141. Simonyi Zsigmond. Magyar hangtan és alaktan. I. kötet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Kiadása, 1895. 734p. [Projected 2nd volume, on semantics and sentence structure, not published]
A grammar of the Hungarian language, the section on pronunciation providing a detailed history of individual sounds and the one on accidence covering word roots, compound words, the formation and conjugation of verbs, the formation of nouns and adjectives, and the declension of nouns.
[See also nos. 23, 138, 154, 176, 177, 178, 188, 232, 354, 367, 379, 380, 388, 408, 409, 411, 412, 413, 425, 433, 459, 467, 512, 516, 538, 540, 544, 545, 546, 552, 553, 746, 748, and 751. In addition to the general histories previously mentioned (nos. 367, 379, 380 and 388), nearly all those listed in Section VIII give attention to the development of the Hungarian language, especially from the last quarter of the 18th century to around the middle of the 19th.]
142. Bárczi Géza. A magyar szókincs eredete. Budapest: Tankönyvkiadó, 19582. 187p. [Enlarged edition]
A study of the original sources of Hungarian words: (1) those with original source in Finno-Ugrian, (2) those with undeterminable origin, and mainly (3) those with origin in foreign languages. Examined by country of origin. Bibliographies at ends of chapters. Index of words. DLC ICU MH MnU NN NNC AsWN AsWU FiHU FrPIH GeCU GeLBM GyBA GyBH GyBS GyGGaU GyGNSU
143. Bárdos Remig. A magyar nyelvtisztító törekvések története. Esztergom: Laiszky János Könyvnyomdája, 1896. 224p.
After discussing purist movements in other languages, delineates the efforts of Hungarian purists to affect the development of the national language from the 15th century to the 1890's. GyBH
144. Gombos László. A magyar szó regénye. Budapest: Magyar Téka, 1948. 160p.
Treats the story of the Hungarian language culturally, as a product of individuals, a people, and a society. For the general reader. DLC AsWN
145. Klemm Antal. Magyar történeti mondattan. I-III. füzet. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1928-1942. 660p.
An examination of the Hungarian sentence in accordance with historical principles. Bibliographies at ends of sections. [MH] [NN] AsWN [FrPBN] FrPIH GeCU GeLBM GeLU GyBH [GyBS] [GyGGaU] [GyGNSU]
146. Kniezsa István. A magyar helyesírás története. Budapest: Tankönyvkiadó, 1959. 35p.
A survey of the characteristics of Hungarian orthography from the Middle Ages to the present. Bibliographies at ends of sections. DLC TxU GyBH GyBS
147. Laziczius Gyula. A magyar nyelvjárások. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1936. 58p.
After reviewing the development of research in dialects in other countries, characterizes Hungarian studies in the subject and the individual qualities of Hungarian dialects, and divides the dialects into classes. Bibliographies at ends of sections. MH NN AsWN FiHI FrPBN FrPS GyBH GyGGaU GyGNSU
148. Lőrincze Lajos (szerk.). Nyelvművelő. Budapest: "Művelt Nép" Tudományos és Ismeretterjesztő Kiadó, 1956. 412p.
A collection of individual essays on the past and present development of the Hungarian language, on individuals who contributed to its growth, on problems of correctness of meaning and usage, and on style and literary language. MH NNC FiHU FrPBN GeLBM GyBH GyBS GyGNSU
149. Pais Dezső. "A magyar irodalmi nyelv," Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Nyelv- és Irodalomtudományi Osztályának Közleményei, IV (1953), 425-486.
A characterization of the literary language of Hungary and its development, concluding with replies to the article by a number of Hungarian scholars. DLC MnU NNC GeLBM GyBA GyBH GyBS GyGNSU ItFU
150. Simonyi Zsigmond. A magyar nyelv. I-II. rész. Budapest: Athenaeum Irodalmi és Nyomdai r.t., 1905. 485p.
An examination of the history and nature of the Hungarian language. In two parts: (1) the history and development of the Hungarian language, and (2) its form and structure. Bibliographies, often critical or descriptive, at ends of chapters. DLC MH FiHI FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GeLU GyBH GyGGaU
151. — Die ungarische Sprache. Strassburg: K. J. Trübner, 1907. 443p.
A translation of no. 150. Bibliography, pp, 13-15. IC ICU MH MnU NNC AsWN AsWU FrPBN FrPS GeCU GeLBM GeOB GyGNSU
152. Szily Kálmán. Adalékok a magyar nyelv és irodalom történetéhez. Budapest: Hornyánszky Viktor, 1898. 471p.
A collection of the author's previously published articles on various aspects of Hungarian literary history (pp. 1-249) and of the history of the Hungarian language (pp. 252-458). Alphabetical index to words examined in the section on language. NNC FrPS GeLBM GyBH
153. Tolnai Vilmos. A nyelvújítás. A nyelvujítás elmélete és története. Budapest: Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, 1929. 240p.
The theories and history of the reform of the Hungarian language, with major attention to the period from around the middle of the 18th century to the end of the 19th. The issues and individuals that influenced the development of the language. Bibliographies at ends of sections. MH FrPIH GeLBM GeLU GyBH GyGNSU ItFU
154. Turóczi-Trostler József. A magyar nyelv felfedezése. Budapest: Ranschburg Gusztáv Könyvkereskedése, 1933. 98p.
Two studies of the links between European and Hungarian humanism as they affected the emergence and development of the Hungarian language. MH GyBH GyGNSU